newsletter-377-august-2002

Newsletter

Page 1

HADAS AUTUMN DIARY

Saturday 17 August OUTING with June Porges and Stewart Wild visiting the excavation at PIDDINGTON ROMAN VILLA, then to Northampton town centre.BOOKING FORM ENCLOSED Afternoon at CANONS ASHBY, an Elizabethan manor house, unaltered since 1710, with formal gardens and orchard, and a church which is all that remains of an Augustinian priory on the site.

Tuesday 8 October LECTURE at Avenue House Dr Ann Saunders, past HADAS President: ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL - Our Marble Tribute If you are a fan of London, this one is a must!

Tues. 12 November LECTURE: The Ups and Downs of Life in the British Palaeolithic Our speaker, Simon Parfitt, last visited HADAS in March 1996 to bring the Boxgrove Palaeolithic site to life.

December: HADAS XMAS DINNER

HADAS Fieldwork by Bill Bass

The survey at Friary Park continues with more members getting used to the new resistivity meter. The results are showing several features but whether they are geological or archaeological is hard to know at present, the images need to be processed further. The results are usually posted on the internet by Christian, sometimes with photos of the team in action. Useful information was received by the appeal in the last Newsletter regarding parch-marks in the park in the 1970s. Work has now restarted at Hanshawe Drive in Burnt Oak with the plotting out of several new trenches over the most likely features detected by a previous resistivity survey. The site is now sheltered housing and before that a Wesleyan Hall stood on the area. Roman pits were found in the adjacent Thirleby Road and we're really after more evidence of the Roman settlement/building. Actual excavation will take place from late July to September, lets hope the weather is better than last time (some hope!). All members welcome to participate, please make contact with digging team - see back page.

Roman amphitheatre open to the public

London's Lord Mayor, Alderman Michael Oliver, attended a reception at the Guildhall Art Gallery in July, marking the opening to the public of London's Roman amphitheatre for the first time in almost 2000 years. He praised the way it has been displayed, at the same time noting the Roman gladiators, chariot and horses also attending the reception. The gathering appreciated his quip about the Ancient Britons having shaved all their body hair except their heads and upper lips, saying that he seemed to have got it wrong (a brave reference to a receding hairline!) The Amphitheatre is accessed via Guildhall Art Gallery, on the east side of Guildhall Yard. It is open between 10am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday, and noon to 4pm on Sundays. The admission charge to the Gallery covers entrance to the Amphitheatre, and is £2.50 for adults, £1 concessions, children under 16 free. All day on Fridays - no admission charge, also free after 3.30pm on other days. Last admissions 30 minutes before closing time.

HELPING TO RUN THE SOCIETY...

The present Membership Secretary, Judy Kaye, wishes to retire because of pressure of her full-time job and the Society is looking for a replacement. This is an honorary post, and good secretarial skills and reasonable computer literacy are necessary. Working in conjunction with the Hon Treasurer on annual renewals, the Membership Secretary is the first point of contact for new members. In addition, the Society is looking for someone to take over from June Porges the organisation of the Society's lecture programme which she has run for several years. There are six lectures a year to organise. This requires a dash of imagination - linking themes - judging what is topical. Having contacts on the archaeological scene is also useful but, of course, the Committee will give any practical support needed. Any member who would like to be considered for either of these jobs should contact the Secretary, Denis Ross.

AFTER THE AGM BY JUNE PORGES

The formal business of the meeting having been despatched as quickly and efficiently as is usual with HADAS we were given a quick overview of the recent activities of the Society by seven speakers. Andrew Coulson kicked off with an entertaining description of the stream walking which has started at the northernmost part of the Upper Dellis Brook. Slides were shown illustrating the rugged terrain being tackled (Andrew warned that precautions must be taken against thorns, deep water, rat disease and nettles - the last named could indicate the possibility of occupation). After only a few walks a whole tray of artefacts has been found and were on display. These can now be analysed by Jacqui Pierce and her team of students. Jacqui told us about the joint HADAS and Birkbeck classes where they are producing a report on Ted Sammes Church End and Church Farmhouse digs. Don Cooper, one of the class participants, told us about their work which includes the compilation of a manual on the identification of finds. It was interesting to see more trays of finds from Ted's digs. The subject of analysis was then taken up by Peter Nicholson who has been learning a system of classification of form and fabric of ceramic building materials in order to analyse the Brockley Hill field walking material. Andy Simpson then spoke about the limited dig at Hanshawe Drive, which is close to Watling Street on the way to Brockley Hill. It is hoped to return there in better weather (more slides of difficult working conditions!). Quick communication is needed between participants in all these activities. HADAS is now benefiting from the use of a Group Email system (Hadas.org.uk) to keep in touch with each other. The HADAS website (www.hadas.org.uk) gives information about the Society, its activities and how to join. These were described to us by new Committee Member Catharine da Costa. Finally, Bill Bass showed slides and spoke about several other activities, including the use of the new resistivity meter at Friary Park. (PS First results of this can now be seen on the web site). This was a very lively summary of activities and it was interesting to see how interlinked they all are. Leaders of all the groups would be delighted to have more members involved. Many thanks to everybody who took part.


Page 2

ROMAN HENDON Andy Simpson

Part I,

in newsletter 276, discussed Roman Hendon - the evidence. - Just to refresh your memories, this is a draft document by Andy Simpson and Stephen Aleck for eventual publication in the annual HADAS journal. They would like input from the membership by way of comments, 'pet theories' and additions. Please write to Andy Simpson, Flat 36, Scottwell Driver, off Crossway, Colindale, London NW9 60B with your contributions.

PART II

Roman coins were also found some distance away south-east of the church at 51 King's Close, Hendon TQ240 892- (Probus, 276 282AD) and also, somewhat closer, north east of the church in Sunny Gardens a coin of Hadrian (117-138 AD) at TQ2310 1896. In 1966, a Highgate Wood Type Roman pottery cremation jar of the late first-early second century, containing charcoal and the ashes of an adolescent, was found east of the church at 111 Sunny Gardens Road (TQ2298 8998) - perhaps indicating a cemetery beyond the eastern boundary of the Roman occupation. The urn is now held by Church Farmhouse Museum. However, a watching brief on building work for extension of the Garden Hospital at 45-60 Sunny Gardens Road in October 1992 found only topsoil and London clay (HADAS Newsletter 261, December 1992). Similarly, an evaluation by Thames Valley Archaeological Services at 15-17 Sunningfields Road, Hendon in September 1995 (TQ2296 8972) found no features or finds of archaeological significance (Other cremation burials of similar date were found in 1953 at Pipers Green Lane, near the foot of Brockley Hill) Earliest recorded Roman material is that from the former Grove House on the Burroughs. In 1889, at a point 730ft w-s-w of the church and 300ft north of Grove House, during the digging of a gravel pit Grove House's then occupant, Dr. Henry Hicks, found bone fragments, flanged roofing tile, brick, millstones, a complete 19cm high ring necked single- handled flagon of second century date and other fragments of mortaria food mixing bowls,water jugs and other pottery including 'broken cinerary urns' all scattered about a foot below the surface in a well defined longitudinal excavation'. The approximate OS ref is TQ 2270 8940. Whether this was in a Roman pit, or even a burial, is not now clear. Some of this material survives in the Barnet local history collection and includes a fragment of flanged roofing tile and, most interestingly, a section of circular brick of the type used to build small diameter columns, which would be faced with moulded cement and painted plaster. The surviving material is considered to be of late first or second century date. Grove House itself, a large eighteenth century building, was demolished in 1934, but a public park called The Grove survives at the rear of the Fire Station and University. This could be a useful location for excavation one day, although the findspot itself is under the extensively landscaped university playing field. In May 1995, the South East London Archaeological Unit undertook a watching brief at the Hendon Campus of Middlesex University which showed that extensive terracing had removed any possible archaeological evidence, and no dating evidence was recovered from the single feature exposed - a broad hollow. Excavations by HADAS at the other end of the Burroughs, south-west of the church at 31-34 Burroughs Gardens, Hendon (TQ2265 8909) in 1972, however, found no Roman material, but plenty of 12th-14th Century pottery, perhaps suggesting a limit to the western edge of the Roman occupation. To be continued in the September newsletter

COMBAT OF THE GLADIATORS

Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 August, 2002, 12noon and 3pm. Join the masses and cheer on rival teams of gladiators as they battle it out for supremacy on the site of London's original Roman amphitheatre in the Guildhall yard close to the Museum of London. Skilled fighters from all corners of the Roman Empire will demonstrate various types of combat using a wide range of weaponry from swords and shields to tridents and nets. Tickets £6 (E4 concessions) call 020 7814 5777. Book early and take your seat in the Guildhall, as demand will be high. This weekend is one of a series of special events celebrating the Museum of London's 25th anniversary.


Page 3

WELWYN ROMAN BATHS

Our first visit was to the Welwyn Roman Baths, part of the Dicket Mead villa, a third century complex of villa, baths and farm buildings. The villa itself had its own bathhouse. The one viewed here, a little distance from the main building, as for the use of the estate workers. It occupied the south¬eastern end of a parallel pair of long structures part of which, it is thought, were buildings used for agricultural storage. The bathhouse not only provided a place for cleansing oneself but a meeting house where one could talk with fellow workers, relax or play board games. All this was done at a leisurely pace before eating the evening meal. The excavation gave a clear picture of the whole process of 'taking a bath'. Starting from the entrance into the cold room (the frigidarium) one disrobed, put on wooden sandals, proceeded to the warm room (the tepidarium) was oiled then moved on to the caldarium, very hot and steamy, and these by means of a scraping down with a strigil and a plunge into a bath of hot water the sweat and dirt from the days work was removed. The process was completed by a dip in the cold bath to cool down and close the pores of the skin, then one emerged clean and relaxed. The important section of this building was the hypocaust or under-floor heating system. The stoke hole situated at the farthest end from the cold room contained a lead boiler encased in concrete from which hot water circulated through lead pipes. A fire fuelled by wood in an under-floor chamber heated not only the water but provided hot air under the floors and up into the walls through rectangular clay pipes thus raising the temperature in the hot room to about 40 C. Such heat necessitated the use of wooden soled sandals. The furnace had to be cleaned out from time to time to remove an accumulation of wood ash, a not too pleasant task which fell to the lot of boys who could get through the low entrance. The discovery of the baths was due to a find by a keen local archaeologist Tony Rook who spotted parts of Roman tiles on the banks of the river Mimram in 1960. This led to the founding of the Welwyn Archaeological Society. Tony Rook gave a talk on the history of Hertfordshire to HADAS in February 1997, see Newsletter 313.

STOKE BRUERNE CANAL MUSEUM BY Jean Bayne

As England scored their first goal against Denmark - sadly not a propitious omen for the future! - the coach turned into the stretch of the Grand Union Canal at Stoke Bruerne. It was a delightful setting: the lock at one end, framed by clusters of cottages, the Boat Inn on the far side and the Canal Museum itself on the near side. At the other end, the towpath curved away towards the Blisworth Tunnel, overlooked by hills dotted with summer-shorn sheep. And the sun did shine! The Museum itself is housed on three floors in a restored corn mill, (originally powered by steam) and had opened in 1963, It had 'growed like Topsy' through the collecting interest of a former lock keeper and public interest in his artefacts. A motley but wide ranging collection of canal objects mostly in very good condition and well looked after, were displayed in separate categories and groups but the accompanying information varied from large densely written sheets to a few captions. I have selected some nuggets of information which appealed to me personally. Early in the 18th Century, and before, various limited schemes had been attempted to make rivers more accessible for transport. But it was the beginning of industrialisation which was the driving force for canal building, spanning two periods, 1760-1785 and later in the 18th century till around 1835. Prosperous businesses, the development of new engineering techniques, the availability of cheap manual labour and the imperatives for the bulk delivery of goods and raw materials, underpinned by the confidence of the new entrepreneurial class, led to the initial spate of canal construction. First the land had to be surveyed on horseback and maps plotted, then it was costed and, finally, it had to be argued for through Parliament. Not all those begun were successful: many were disasters and stopped far short of planned completion, either because the money ran out or the engineering failed. Tunneling in particular was hazardous and methods often devised as the work proceeded. The Grand Junction Canal, as it was then called, linked the Midlands and the Thames at London, and work began at Stoke Bruerne in 1793. The first tunnel at Blisworth failed in 1797. Toll roads, and later plateways, were built over the hill so that canal business could continue. It wasn't until 1805 that the second one opened and it has been dogged by water problems ever since, leading to a complete relining in the 1980s. It is the longest continual bore tunnel open for navigation on the canal system and is one and three quarter miles long with its deepest point some 120 feet below ground. In the early days of horse drawn canal boats, they had to be 'legged' through the tunnels as the horses were led over land. This meant that men had to lie on the boats, sometimes on planks, and move them by pushing with their legs against the roof of the tunnel. Or they might be poled through. Registered leggers, issued with brass arm¬bands, displayed in the museum, were employed by the canal company and there was a leggers' but at Stoke Bruerne, near the Boat Inn. These were hazardous activities as sometimes men were crushed or drowned. With the introduction of steam tugs in 1871, fatalities continued as people were often suffocated by the smoke and extra vents had to be built into tunnels: seven vents in the case of the Blisworth Tunnel. The museum showed old photos of boats entering tunnels, surrounded by smoke, and a long curved brush for cleaning soot from tunnel roofs. Some 70¬80 narrow boats a day, both local and through traffic, would go through at Stoke Bruerne and they were also weighed for tolls. The Boat Weighing machine can be seen near to the lock. Tolls were based on the distance travelled, nature and weight of the cargo and the clerk would have a ledger with the weight of the boat listed so that it could he deducted to find the cargo weight. Although steam tugs remained in service till the 1930s, motor boats were being built much earlier in the 20th century. Their cabins had to be narrower and shorter but higher to allow for the propeller. Stoke Bruerne became a wealthy place in its hey day as delays occurred because of the locks and the tunnel. Provisions for horses, families and boats were all provided there and trade was very brisk. But life on the canal was very hard. Shopping was done on the move, for example, milk cans were handed over from another boat, washing was done on the canal bank - when possible, babies were chained to the chimney on the roof to play, and children put to work as early as possible. If the canal iced over in winter, boat people could not work. The style of the boat people is expressed in the distinctive Roses and Castles decorations on the narrow boats and red and blue kettles, pots and pans and plates are displayed in the museum. These were painted by the individual boat people themselves or made for them at boat docks. I particularly liked the two- spouted teapot, designed to ensure that both mum and dad got the first cup from the pot at the same time! Black-leaded stoves, brass rails, ornaments and crochet hangings can all be seen in the replica of the cabin of a working boat in the museum. They did not escape the moral tentacles of Victorian society however! In 1877, George Smith organised the registration and inspection of boats for the spiritual, moral and educational welfare of the boat people. He was particularly keen to promote school attendance but, if he achieved this it was not recorded! The occasional schooling opportunity was rare, though the museum does have one photo of a class held on a boat. By 1900, the Salvation Army was active on the canals to reinforce missionary work. Physical needs were also catered for in a haphazard fashion. At Stoke Bruerne, Sister Mary, the daughter of the last shop keeper, ministered to the health needs of the boat people at her surgery for many years. The isolation of the canal boat people was interrupted in the second world war with the arrival of women workers when the Grand Union Canal was used to carry war materials. Seen initially as 'novelties', they soon made their mark and became accepted as genuine workers. But long before the second world war, the canals were in decline. The coming of the railways, and in particular the London to. Birmingham line in 1838. gradually cut short the prosperity of the canal system. Road lorries intensified the competition in the 20th century. Interestingly, canal companies had tried to introduce passenger services as early as 1767. They had three classes and served refreshments but took eight hours to go from Manchester to Runcorn, a distance of 28 miles? Even as late as 1839, 'fast boats were still operating on the Lancaster Canal but by 1850, very few were left anywhere and passenger traffic became restricted to outings. The demise of the working narrow boat became evident in the 1950s and 60s and long distance freight carrying finally finished in 1970. The museum is a fascinating monument to the memory of a group of workers with their own culture and way of life, touching the wider society only as they docked. 'Born on a boat,die on a boat": servants of the Grand Junction Canal company were even taken to the graveyard by canal! However, the canal has now been revitalised by becoming a source of wildlife and nature conservation, boating, angling, hiking and tourism. Towpath walking from London to Birmingham was established in 1993. And tourism has brought a new and welcome prosperity back to Stoke Bruerne.

DEREK BATTEN'S RINGWORK CASTLE BY Micky Watkins

Next, HADAS member Derek Batten guided us to his very own ringwork castle, a scheduled ancient monument. Set on a hill the castle is surrounded by a deep moat and is surprisingly large. Derek persuaded Time Team to clear the site and start excavating in 2000, the resulting programme was screened in January 2001. The dig revealed signs from the Iron Age and from the Roman and medieval periods. Derek is now using the arena to produce Shakespeare plays with a local company. A short walk down the road took us to Derek's friend, John Hieney, where the latter is excavating the remains of the Alderton Old Manor House in his garden.

GRAFTON REGIS

At Grafton Regis we were met by Mistress Merry clad in colourful Elizabethan costume. She guided us to the church and round the little village, ending with an excellent tea in the village hall. The history of the village is painted on the walls of the hall and its royal connection started in 1464 when Edward IV was hunting in the area and espied Elizabeth Woodville (Wydeville) of Grafton Manor. Edward fell in love and, though it was most unusual for royalty to make a love match, the couple were secretly married at the nearby Hermitage. They became the parents of the Princes in the Tower and their daughter married Henry VII. Their grandson, Henry VIII stayed many times at Grafton Manor to enjoy the hunting. Henry VIII enlarged the manor house and gave the title Regis to the village. The manor was destroyed during the civil war when the Parliamentary forces laid siege to it during the struggle for the Midlands. After the Restoration the manor lands reverted to the Crown and Charles II gave them to his son by his mistress Barbara Villiers - Henry Fitzroy, first Duke of Grafton. In the church there are many memorials to the Fitzroys, most of whom seemed to have died in the colonies. After tea the more intrepid members set out across the field to see the remains of the Hermitage. It was a surprisingly large building which must have housed many monks, but it has been only partially excavated. Today, Grafton Regis has only a hundred inhabitants,but they have a great community spirit and a fine tradition of cake baking! Our thanks to Derek Batten for showing us his castle and the manor excavation and for organising a very interesting and enjoyable afternoon for us.




Page 4

TV APPEARANCE FOR HADAS MEMBER

Derek Batten is once more scheduled to appear on TV, this time in a BBC2 Timewatch programme featuring Custer's Last Stand. The exact date is not known but the programme will be on a Friday at 9.00 pm at some time during the next eight weeks or so. Derek will not be playing the role of the flamboyant but doomed General, but will be talking about this seminal event in America's history. He has made eight visits to the site of the battle at the Little Big Horn River, and he has been the only non-American involved in the extensive Battlefield Archaeological work carried out there. It was in this capacity that he was contacted by the BBC, although he ended up as historical advisor to this episode of Timewatch. A few long-standing members may recall that Derek spoke some years ago at an AGM about the work with which he has been involved in America and of course, over the years, Derek has taken the time to share his enviable archaeological experiences in the US though the HADAS newsletter (setting a good example to y'all!). Derek also, together with John Hieney, gave the most up-to-the-minute, technologically speaking, presentation HADAS had ever received when they came in January 2001 to talk about the dig at the Norman Ringwork Castle at Alderton. The digitally-displayed slide projection was from John's laptop computer and, at the click of a key, outline graphics or text appeared to enhance the map or photo shown. See newsletter 359 for Andy Simpson's report on this talk


Page 5

ATTACK AT AVENUE HOUSE

The 25-year old victim, an unnamed tree, was cut down in its prime in a mysterious night-time raid on the Bothy early in July. Another unsolved crime was committed at the Bothy in May when a shed was ransacked. And a couple of years ago the rosebeds outside the Garden Room were poisoned and the earth had to be carted away ... but that was an accident, not vandalism. Council workmen used a rather-too-strong weedkiller!

HISTORY BENEATH OUR FEET by Bill Firth

A lot of archaeology involves digging but my attention has been drawn recently to the large amount of local history, although not perhaps archaeology, beneath us but not buried, which lies in the street furniture in our pavements. I am no expert, but just walking up Golders Green Road has demonstrated how little I know about some of our local history. There is a wealth of different covers for access to what lies beneath and some of them are remarkably old. Some of the more obvious covers are those for the telephone cables. The oldest seem to be labelled Post Office Telephones or Telegraphs. These seem to be used randomly and cannot be ascribed to the particular service named. Then there are some in which Post Office has been replaced by GPO and more recently by BT or just the BT logo. There is a wealth of water covers ranging from small valve covers, often only marked W, and the more modern meter covers, to sewer covers, fire hydrants and the drains in the gutter. Fire hydrants all seem to be of a similar type, obviously useful for identification in an emergency, but vary in detail. I have seen unmarked ones, some labelled HUDC (Hendon Urban District Council) and others MWB (Metropolitan Water Board). Hendon became an Urban District in 1895, the MWB did not take over water supply from the West Middlesex Waterworks Company until 1902. The HUDC covers are presumably older than the MWB ones. At least in the side streets, where they have not had so much traffic wear, many of the drain covers in the gutter also carry the legend HUDC. Hendon became a borough in 1932, so fifty these are at least seventy years old. In newer areas are there some marked HBC?? There are also historic electricity and gas covers. On many covers over the electricity cables beneath, the words Electricity Supply can be made out, some are getting badly worn now. The Hendon Electricity Supply Company was registered in June 1907 to supply electricity purchased from the North Metropolitan Electric Power Supply Company (who remembers the Northmet?) so some of these covers may be over ninety years old. There are also a few gas valve covers remaining labelled GLCC (Gas Light and Coke Company) which could be as old. This is not all. Take a look at the local history under your feet. If anyone sees an interesting cover elsewhere in the borough I would be interested to hear of it. Tel: 020 8455 7164 or Billfirth@cs.com If any members have taken photographs of interesting street furniture, both Bill Firth and the HADAS newshounds would welcome sight of your efforts. In 1978, a HADAS member (BLW) recorded and sketched trolley bus poles and lamp standards in Woodhouse Road and Friern Barnet Road - there can't be many, if any, left by now. Perhaps Bill Firth, or a transport buff could provide an update?


Page 6

LORD MAYOR CLOCKS IN

Another of Alderman Michael Oliver's, literally, hundreds of engagements during his year of Office was to re-open the Clock Museum in the Guildhall Library. The new layout maximises the available space attractively to tell the story of the Clockmakers of London whose innovations over the centuries are evident in the modern-day high quality Swiss watch. Around six hundred pieces from the collection are on show at any one time, and the Museum will be displaying a 'rolling' exhibition of works by 21st century 'artist craftsmen' watch and clockmakers. The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers, who gained their Charter from Charles I in 1631, founded their Library in 1813 to house their ancient manuscripts. These formed the basis for many later standard reference hooks used by British clockmakers. The collection grew to include other documents such as clockmakers' workbooks, clocks, watches and marine timekeepers. The Museum is especially proud to show John Harrison's 5th marine timekeeper. Harrison won the £20,000 prize offered by Queen Anne for building an instrument that could accurately find longitude. One unusual item is the early 19th century gas-powered clock. The library was admitted to the Guildhall Library in 1925 to allow public access so, if you are in the area, it is well worth an hour or two of your time. The Clock Museum is open 9.30am to 4.45pm, Monday to Friday only, at the Guildhall Library, Aldermanbury, London EC2P 2EJ. Access for disabled visitors. Library tel: 020 7332 1868.

Page 7


===GREATER LONDON ARCHAEOLOGY QUARTERLY REVIEW, MARCH-MAY 2002 Bill Bass has extracted items relating to the Borough of Barnet===

Several sites from The Borough of Barnet are mentioned in this edition. A watching brief was conducted at the BELLE VUE CINEMA, Station Road, Edgware by Pre- construct Archaeology (PCA). No archaeological deposits were found due in part to the construction of the former cinema. Only modern make-up material was observed, which overlay the natural gravel.

Two evaluation trenches were excavated at 13-15 Moxon Street and 18-20 Tapster Street, Barnet by MoLAS following geotechnical observations. No archaeological remains were encountered.

MoLAS also carried out work at BIBSWORTH MANOR, 80 East End Road, Finchley. A magnetometer/resistivity survey was conducted within the scheduled ancient monument of Bibsworth Manor to test for the location of two medieval moats associated with the manor, or for other significant remains. The results were inconclusive. However, part of the outer moat and bank were located in four transects of auger holes drilled across the western part of the site, within the footprint of a proposed school. The auger holes were drilled outside the scheduled ancient monument, which covers the house platform and the inner moat of the former manor. Waterlain deposits indicative of the primary fill of the moat were recorded in the auger holes sunk in the eastern part of the proposed building footprint. This suggests that the majority of the moat is likely to lie within the scheduled ancient monument area. These deposits lay between 1.5 & 3.0m below current ground level and were thickest in the northern most auger transect. Bank deposits were found to the west of the moat and evidence of a pre-moat surface was detected.

Another site reported was 1263-1275 HIGH RD, WHETSTONE dug by Thames Valley Archaeological Service (TVAS) with the assistance of HADAS members. The excavation of land beneath demolished 19th century shops fronting the High Rd uncovered mainly post-Medieval deposits and structures. The entire site was under a layer of modern demolition debris. A large single ditch and a buried soil were the 'earliest (Medieval) features, although Medieval material appeared residually in later features. Even then, it is possible that the ditch was not finally backfilled until the 18th century. Structural elements included wall footings, several wells and soakaways. Very fragmentary remains may belong to the 17th & 18th centuries, but the majority of the structural elements were 19th century and later. The west of the site had been quarried and backfilled in the 19th century and much of the eastern end was destroyed by the cellars of the buildings. What does survive seems to relate mainly to minor outbuildings and garden features in the rear of the street frontage buildings.

CBA MID-ANGLIA NEWSLETTER Reports of Pre-construct Archaeology (PCA) in Barnet ASHMOLE SCHOOL, Southgate, Jan-Feb 2001. Natural brownish orange clay, with frequent pebbles, sealed by natural deposits was observed at 72.79m OD. Natural clay was sealed by brickearth deposits, which in turn was overlain by modern plough and subsoils.

72 HIGH ST, BARNET AND CORNER OF TAPSTER STREET November 2001 Natural light greyish, reddish, yellow gravely sand was observed. In the north of the excavated area a late 16th/early 17th century demolition layer was seen overlying the natural gravel in section. The layer was mid yellowish brown silty clay with roof tile, green-glazed pottery, clay tobacco pipe and pebbly inclusions, this layer was 0.4m thick. The 16th and 17th century deposits were mostly truncated by an 18th century brick building and its vaulted cellars. The base of the cellar was 2m below ground level. The 18th century building had been repaired with yellow stock bricks and internal partition walls appear to have been built in the 19th century within the cellar.

Page 8

OUT AND ABOUT with Eric Morgan's monthly selection of alternatives to TV...

AUGUST

Thurs. 1st London Canal Museum, 12-13 New Wharf Road, Kings Cross, Nl. 7.30pm - 9pm Historical guided towpath walk from the museum to Camden.

Sat. 3rd & Trent Park Country Steam Show. Trent Park, Cockfosters Rd., Sun. 4th Enfield, featuring traction engines and vintage vehicles.

Sun. 4th Heath and Hampstead Society, Burgh House, New End Sq. NW3. 2.30pm Meet at The Dairy at Kenwood for a walk led by Andrew Ginner. £.1 donation requested.

Fri. 9th Hampstead Museum are organising a walk led by the curator featuring 1lam - 1pm Constables Hampstead, fee £3, meet at Hampstead Tube Stn by 11am.

Tues. 13th 8pm Amateur Geological Society meeting at The Parlour, St. Margaret's United Reformed Church, Victoria Ave. N3. Volcanoes of the Bay of Naples. Talk by Dr. Tony Hall.

Fri. 16th COLAS meeting at St. Olaves Parish Hall, Mark Lane EC3 for a talk by Dr. Penelope Wallis on English Medieval Manuscripts.

Sat. 17th & Sun. 18th Friern Barnet Show at Friary Park Friern Barnet Lane N12. Friern Barnet Local Historical Society plan to have a stand here with details of the HADAS resistivity survey.

Wed. 21st Friends of The Earth. Meet at the Information Hut in Highgate Wood, Muswell Hill Road N6 for a guided walk.

Wed. 21st Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery, Dissenters Chapel, Kensal Green Cemetery, Ladbroke Grove, W10. Preservation of the Dead - talk by Andrea Britton about embalming. £3 donation requested. Refreshments available (if the talk hasn't put you off!).

Sat. 24th & Sun. 25th Lord Mansfield's- TeaParty. A high society tea party of 1773 with music dancing and latest London scandals - event organised by English Heritage members. English Heritage at Kenwood Hampstead Lane NW3. free admission £4 adult, £3.50 concession, £2.50 child.

SEPTEMBER

Sun. 1st Angel Canal Festival, set in and around Regents Canal and City Road Basin with lots of stalls and boat trips round the basin and though the tunnel to the Canal Museum.



Comments