newsletter-103-september-1979

Newsletter

Page 1

NOT BRAWN ALONE! BUT BRAINS TOO

This summer several of HADAS's hardest working diggers have, with flying colours, reached the end of four years of London University's external Diploma in Archaeology. Our warm congratulations go to them and to all our members who succeeded in the 1979 examinations. We have not yet been able to track down all the results, but here are some of them, collected for us by Dave King.

Shirley Korn and Dave King himself both specialised in Prehistoric Britain for their final year: Shirley "passed her two papers (essay and general) with Merit in one and Credit in the other; Dave reversed that result, with Credit in one and Merit in the other. Margot Maher did even better: her 4th year speciality was Environmental Archaeology, which she passed with Distinction and Credit.

There is good news from the earlier years, too. Elizabeth Aldridge passed her 3rd year; Geoffrey Gammon passed his 2nd year with Credit; and Carole Halligan achieved what must be a unique double: in the same week she learnt that she had passed her midwifery finals and had also, gained a Distinction in her 2nd year extramural archaeology. As a result, she's headed for a B.Sc (Hons) degree course in anthropology this coming autumn.

ALL SORTS OF PROGRAMME NEWS

.. from Dorothy Newbury.

Another lecture season approaches and the first Tuesday of each month from October to April will find us meeting at Hendon Library, The Burroughs, NW4, at 8 pm. Meetings start with coffee, served between 8-8.3O, while members have a chance to exchange views, borrow books from our Hon. Librarian, George Ingram, or look at the publications on the HADAS bookstall. (Incidentally, have you yet bought your copy of our latest booklet, the Hendon Town Trail, from our Hon. Treasurer? If not, please do - your support can make this interesting experimental publication the success that we would like it to be. Price lOp, plus 8p postage).

At 8.30 the lecture starts. We are delighted that Elizabeth Holliday has again kindly agreed to run the projector for us, except for our first lecture when she will be on holiday.

We have tried this year, as always, to vary our winter programme as much as possible with something for everyone :

Tues. Oct. 2 Archaeology in a Waterlogged Landscape: the Somerset Levels Dr. John Coles, MA PhD FSA

Tues. Nov. 6 Recent Archaeology in Canterbury Tim Tatton Brown BA

Sat. Dec.8 Roman Banquet

Tues. Jan. 8 The Art of Bronze Age (Minoan) Crete. Sinclair Hood MA FSA

Page 2

Tues. Feb. 5 The Later Roman Empire and the Codex Spirensis. Mark Hassall, MA FSA

Tues. Mar. 4 Medieval Kings Lynn: an archaeological, architectural and documentary survey Dr Helen Clark BA PhD FSA

Tues. Apr. 1 Iron Bridge Gorge Museum Stuart B Smith MSc AMA

The opening lecture of the season, on Oct. 2, will set a high standard for all those that follow: it is on the timber trackways, mainly Neolithic, which have been uncovered during the last decade in the low-lying marshland of the Somerset Levels by Dr. John Coles and his team from the Department of Archaeology in Cambridge.

Dr. Coles himself will be our lecturer. He is known already to many members, particularly those who belong to the Prehistoric Society, as he is President of the Council of that Society and Hon. Editor of its Proceedings. The current (1978) Proceedings in fact open with a brilliant paper by him and two of his younger colleagues on the use and character of wood in prehistoric Britain and Ireland.

THE HADAS CHRISTMAS PARTY

For our Christmas festivity this year we plan something a bit out of the ordinary: we offer members a Roman banquet (with all the authentic Roman frills we can contrive) cooked by HADAS cooks who undertake to use only known Roman ingredients.

This historic event is planned for Sat. Dec. 8, at St. Jude's Church Rooms, Central Square; Hampstead Garden Suburb. It will start at 7 pm and it is hoped that, although this will be optional, as many members as possible will add to the authenticity of the occasion by wearing Roman dress.

The rooms will be decorated in Roman (indeed Pompeiian) style, and the entertainment will have a Roman slant, though we fear it will not quite live up to the expectations of one of our digger-members who, having been told what was in store, was heard to murmur "God. I've always wanted to experience a Roman orgy under controlled conditions!"

An application form for tickets, plus instructions on how to make a do-it-yourself toga (out of an old sheet) will accompany the next Newsletter. Meantime, if your spirit is adventurous and your digestion sound, chalk a mark in your diary against Sat. Dec. 8.

THE WALES TRIP

... from Sept. 19-23, is now full, but there is no waiting list. We have received the complete programme from the Centre and it sounds very exciting. If anyone has a last-minute wish to join the party, please ring Dorothy Newbury and let her know, in case there are any late cancellations.

WEST HEATH

Digging plans for September are as announced in last month's Newsletter. There will be a full-time dig for the week starting Mon. Sept 3, as well as digging every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday throughout the month. Digging is from 10 am-5 pm each day.

No one needs telling that a lot of good digging hours have gone up the spout this so-called summer because of bad weather. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a fine "back-end" so that we can begin to catch up on our schedule; and we hope that everyone who has even an hour to spare will come along to West Heath, trowel at the ready, to help us in that aim during September.

Page 3

IN SEARCH OF WATLING STREET

Site-watching report by HELEN GORDON.

HADAS member Albert Dean, who keeps a wary eye for us on any digging-up of the Edgware Road, last month spotted a trench cut for pipe-laying purposes on the east side of the street at The Hyde, at the north corner of Greenway Gardens, NW9 (OS grid ref: TQ 204901).

The trench, when observed on July 9 1979, had been dug in the pavement parallel to the Edgware Road about 30 cm. from the kerb, for a length of about 30 m. northwards from the corner. It was about 80 cm. wide and 1.75-2 m. deep. The pipe-laying was being continued, and a second visit was paid on July 11, when a further 10 m. had been dug.

For the first 20-30 cm. from the surface the soil was mixed disturbed sand and blackened material. Below this was clay with some small stone. No evidence was seen of any layers of pebbles or gravel which might had indicated the metalling of the Roman road.

Church Terrace Reports: No. 1

During the next few months the Newsletter will publish a series of papers by EDWARD SAMMES on post-excavation work, since 1974, on finds from the Church Terrace, Hendon, dig. Below is the first in the series, on:

BALE SEALS

Much of the material excavated at Church Terrace, Hendon (TQ 22898953) in the HADAS dig of 1973-4 came from disturbed layers. As far as can be ascertained, no dumping had ever taken place on the area. The finds are therefore a record of occupation on this site, close to the parish church of St. Mary's Hendon, starting in the 3rd/4th c. and continuing through to this century.

Whilst excavation is in progress, the separate layers are approximately dated. This is followed in post-excavation by a more detailed study of specific artefacts. This series of articles will cover the results of such work in more detail than is possible in a final archaeological report where, for instance, you might merely get an entry like this:

Merchants Bale Seal of lead, in two parts, slightly elliptical 18-21 mm. diameter, weight 6.29 grams. One half plain with lug flattened. Main side bears the impressed letters R.G. with a vertical interlace between. This is surrounded by a border line. 18th c. Trench Bl, 58 cm.

Such a description gives most of us little idea of the use of the object and fails miserably to make it "live." Yet this rather insignificant piece of worked lead has its origins in England's flourishing Medieval wool trade and can take us back through the history of that trade. In the Middle Ages the export of wool in sacks to the continent, mainly Flanders, was a major source of wealth. In 1275 a duty of 7s. 6d was fixed on every sack. Henry III, however, began to encourage the manufacture of woollen cloth in England. The industry was established in London, Norwich, the Cotswolds and Somerset. The settling of Flemish weavers here in 1337 brought a sudden increase in the knowledge and practice of weaving. A tax was levied on the finished cloth and for each producing county an officer, called an alnager, was appointed. His task was to examine the cloth for quality and length, to affix seals and also to collect the tax. In 1353 this tax amounted to four pence a cloth. Each alnager had a seal, resembling a pair of pincers, with his own particular mark engraved on it.

Page 4

Measurement was carried out in the unit length of one ell. This derives from the Anglo-Saxon eln, and is of cognate origin with the French aulne, from the Latin ulna, an arms length. From this too derives the name alnager. Confusingly, the length of an ell in inches varied as follows: England 45, Flanders 27, Scotland 37, France 54. Thus the bale seal was a certificate of the length of the cloth as well as of its quality.

By the 17th c. this work was being done by three people types of seals were in use as, additionally, merchants began lead seals with their own impressed mark.

Bale seals are found from that period onwards. They were following types:

1. Single lobed pieces with a central hole

2. Two-lobed, one lobe having a tongue projecting from its centre which, in use, would be passed through a hole in the second lobe. The Church Terrace seal is of this type.

3. Four lobed seals. official seals for the collection of excise duty.

For further reading:

EGAN, G - London Archaeologist, vol 3 No 7, Summer 1978. 177-9

HUME, I N - Artefacts of Colonial America, pub. A A Knapp, 1970

LIPSON, E - Economic History, vol 1, 1929

PILE, C C R - Cranbrook Broadcloth and the Clothiers, Cranbrook & District Local History Society, 1967

A DAY OUT IN NORFOLK

A report by R F Allen on the August outing.

For the last one-day outing of this summer our guide was Raymond Lowe, who enlivened the long drive to Castle Acre with comment on features of interest on the way, including the Roman bathhouse under the A1 at Welwyn and Knebworth House, sadly forced to live now by acting as a pop festival venue and surrounded by acres of litter from the latest event.

After Baldock we followed the Icknield Way for ten miles and could pick out the odd round barrow, taking care not to be deceived by golf-course earthworks. There was also Ashwell Pond with its remarkable worm, left behind since early post-glacial times and no doubt longing a for the next ice age. Ermine Street went off north from the traffic lights at Royston and we jumped forward to industrial archaeology: aircraft brooding on the tarmac at Duxford, accompanied incongruously by a rusty two-man submarine. Back to early Saxon days for two linear works at right angles to our line of Approach, Fleam Dyke and Devils Ditch.

Page 5

The Priory at Castle Acre, a Cluniac house, was founded in 1090, the original buildings being within the outer defences of the castle. Soon afterwards it moved to the present site near the River Nar, where there was room for the vast complex whose ruins we see today. The main feature is the west wall of the church, standing to much of its original height and described as a fine example of l2th c. architecture.

The prior's chapel and lodging, though altered in Tudor times, survive as complete buildings, with fine dressed flint over the porch. Upstairs is a model of the priory as it might have appeared just before the Dissolution; this was made, under expert supervision, by the Castle Acre Youth Club. The local youth and their supervisor must be perfectionists: having built one model they decided that, with the skills acquired on the job, they could do better; so they built another, the one now on view. The priory kitchen had its fish tank but the ponds were presumably further up the valley. A DoE dig, in progress beyond the kitchen, revealed some interesting brick-lined circular structures, with a spectacular tilt due to subsidence. These are provisionally thought to represent the brewery - there must have been one somewhere.

This caused our thoughts to turn towards The Ostrich in the village, but first there was the parish church, with l5th c. painted panels round the pulpit and along the remains of the screen. The font cover, also l5th c, is termed the telescopic variety: the lower part, by an ingenious sliding mechanism, can be lifted up to give access to the font itself.

The Ostrich came up to expectations, real beer and no fruit machine. Then through the north gateway (in the village street) for a quick look at the motte and bailey castle; the remains are mostly earthworks but are impressive for their size and extent.

Next to Oxburgh Hall, a moated red-brick mansion built about 1482 by Sir Edmund Bedingfeld and now owned by the National Trust, with the Bedingfield family still living in part of it. There is no doubt here about the main feature: the magnificent original gatehouse, the best of its period in the country, with a projecting octagonal tower on either side, 80 ft. high from moat to battlements. The west tower contains an architectural gem, the newel staircase to the roof. The vault is of cut and rubbed brick, laid with incredible precision those 500 years ago and giving an effect of great beauty; if the whole thing were turned upside down you would think you were looking at a well worn watercourse.

Inside, the house has been drastically altered down the centuries but has much of interest. One room is devoted to needlework hangings by Mary Queen of Scots and Bess of Hardwick. Another gives up an entire wall to the Sheldon tapestry map of 1647; this measures 18' by 13' 2" and extends from Tetbury, Gloucestershire, to London. It gave members a chance to find Hendon and nearby villages.

It was a memorable day and we must place on record our gratitude to Raymond Lowe for efficient arrangements and entertaining commentary.

MORE ARCHAEOLOGICAL WEEKENDS

Last month we mentioned the programme of archaeological weekends organised by Leicester University at Knuston Hall. This inspired a member to send details of similar weekends under the aegis of the

Page 6

Oxford University Department of External Studies, many of which take place at the department's headquarters at Rewley House, 3-7 Wellington Square, Oxford. Here is a selection from the programme:

Oct. 12-14 - Weekend conference on Churches and Local History

Nov. 9-11 - Symposium on Burial in the Saxon Period

Jan. 5-6 - The Roman at Work: artisans, merchants, trade, travel, inns and entertainment

Jan. 11-13 - The Archaeology of Santorini (to be held at New College)

Jan. 25-27 - Hill-forts in Britain and Europe: a forum for the latest research

Feb. 15-17 - The Study of Farm Buildings

Mar. 14-16 - Th1rd Century Problems: looking at the least well known century of Roman occupation

Apr. 18-20 - Recent Work on Wills and Inventories

Costs vary according to venue - a weekend at Rewley House, with full board and a shared room, is about £23.5O. Further particulars of the above courses, and of others in a very full programme, can be obtained from the Dept. of External Studies.

A study tour of the principal museums and medieval sites in the Cherbourg Peninsula - an "in the footsteps of William the Conqueror" trip, as it were - is also offered from Apr. 24-27, crossing from Southampton-Le Havre, with 3 days in Normandy, for £70.

PROTECTING A MOAT

Back in early 1977 HADAS suggested to the Department of Environment {the ministry responsible for both Listed buildings of architectural and historic interest and for scheduled sites of historic and archaeological importance) that the remains of one of the moats in our area should be scheduled. This is the partial moat (only an L-shaped piece remains, the rest having been filled in, and possibly walled over, in earlier times) which still exists in the walled garden of the Manor House (now a convent) in East End Road, Finchley. The present Manor House was built in 1723 as the centre of the manor of Bibsworth, but there has probably been a manor house on, or within the fairly near neighbourhood of this site since medieval times.

The moat itself has never been dated, nor is anything known of its genesis. It may well pre-date the present early Georgian house.

The DoE was sympathetic to the idea, and in September 1977 sent one of its Inspectors to examine the moat. He went away saying that he would recommend it for scheduling. Now, after quite an interval, it seems the idea is coming to fruition, for we have had a letter from the Department saying "This is to let you know that the Moated Site at 80 East End Road, Finchley N3, is in process of being scheduled and this should be completed by early next year."

We greatly welcome the DoE's action and the fact that this piece of Finchley's history will have some protection.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT - PART II

CHRISTINE ARNOTT finishes her round-up of next winter's classes with details of WEA courses available locally.

Unless otherwise stated, the following courses offer 24 lectures, with visits that are additional and vary in number; the cost, also unless otherwise stated, is £8, with concessionary fees for pensioners of $6.50. Enrolment can be made at the class on the first day; and in some instances you will be allowed to attend for two weeks without obligation to join.

Page 7

GOLDERS GREEN. "Why the Romans Came to Britain," lecturer Margaret Roxan, Golders Green Library, Thurs. from Oct. 4, 8-10 pm. Slides, films and visits are included.

FINCHLEY. "Industrial History"' - from the Industrial Revolution to today. North Finchley Library, Tues. starting Sept. 25, 8-10 pm.

"Geology" This course will deal with SE England and pay particular attention to a 30-mile radius from Finchley. Special films and 6 field visits. The lecturer, a master at Mill Hill School, is a real enthusiast. Venue is 46 Southover, Nl2, Weds. from Sept 26, 8-10 pm.

MILL HILL. "Ancient Mesopotamia her Neighbours Politics and History" Richard Evans, Hartley Hall, Flower Lane, 8-10 pm, Tues. from Oct. 9, 22 meetings £12.

"Greek Civilisation: Foundations of Western Theatre, " Dr. Anne Ward; Edgware Library, Hale Lane, Mons. from Oct.8, 8-10 pm. 22 meetings, £12

BARNET. "Roman Archaeology," Tony Rook, Ewen Hall , Wood St, Barnet , Fris. from Sept 8, 10.30am-12.30 pm. "Trace the History of Everyman," Queen Elizabeth School for Boys, Thur from Sept. 27, 7.45-9.45 pm A genealogy class which will involve student participation.

HENDOW "Peoples and Civilisations of the Ancient Near East", R G Evans, Hendon Library, Weds: from Sept. 26, 7.30-9.30 pm. The fee for this class is £10.

FRIERN BARNET. "Natural History with Archaeology", South Friern Library, Colney Hatch Lane, Weds. from Sept. 26, 8~10pm. Evolution and environment, including fossil study and pollen analysis.

Barnet College

As mentioned last month, details of classes at this College were given to us before the printed prospectus was available and there are therefore some alterations in the details we printed in August.

The principal one is definitely an improvement: the fee for the third year course of the Certificate in Field Archaeology of London University (on the post-Roman period in SE England) is £8, not £15 as stated.

Fees quoted for the other courses at Barnet College were also too high. Three "terms of 2-hour classes in Family History will cost £12, not £15; two terms of 2-hour classes in Local History at East Barnet Junior High School will be £8, not £10.

In Addition, there is a 3-term course in Local History at Barnet College itself, on Mons. from 7.30-9.30 pm, fee £12.

The above classes are all "non-vocational" and this type of class begins at the College in the week starting Mon. Oct. 1.

NEWS FLASH

One day conference on Town and Country in Roman Britain. Sat. Oct. 6, 10 am-5 pm. St A1bans School, Abbey Gate, St. Albans. Tickets (£1.25) and further details from E J Heathman, 92 Charmouth Rd, St. Al bans, AL1 4SQ.

Page 8

GAZETTEER OF ROMAN SITES AND FINDS: Pt. II

HELEN GORDON continues her round-up of evidence for the Romans in the Borough of Barnet.

BROCKLEY HILL. Finds from this site are recorded below, area by area. Those to the east of the A5 (the boundary between the Boroughs of Harrow and Barnet) are recorded more fully as this gazetteer particularly concerns Barnet. Finds to the west, in Harrow, are summarised, but full references are given. Numbers in the margin refer to the map printed with the August Newsletter. Numbers'in brackets after kilns are as listed by SA Castle in Trans LAMAS 27, 1976, p 225/6.

NW corner of field 412. TQ 1744 9404. Excav. 1956-8 by Mr. Ridley

1. Kiln (no 6) and pottery in south bank of pond. Mus. Lond. ref: F36

Kiln furnace constructed of burnt clay, reinforced with wasters. Quantity of miniature votive urns, frags. of poppyhead beakers and other vessels. Multi-coloured glass ring. Kiln debris. Date: c. 110-150 AD.

Present location of finds unknown

Ref: Castle, SA, "Roman Pottery from Brockley Hill, Middx, 1966 & 1972-4," Trans LAMAS 27, 1976, 206-227 (p.225)

2. Three kilns (nos. 12-14). TQ 174 940. Excav. 1972 by S A Castle and Brockley Hill Excavation & Field Work Group

Pottery kilns, one with pedestal of mortaria wasters, including stamp of DRICCIVS. Possibly worked by potters Driccius and Arentus. Pottery included ring necked flagons, reed rimmed bowls, jars, lids and mortaria with stamps of ARENTVS, DOINVS, DRICCIVS.

Date: c. 110-160 AD Present location: Mus. Lond

Ref: Castle, S A, "Trial Excavations in Field 410, Brockley Hill, Pt .2," Lond. Archaeologist, vol 2 No 4, 1973, 78-83

SW corner of field 410. TQ 17489393. Excav. 1937 by F Cottrill with LAMAS & Stanmore, Edgware & Mill Hill Hist. Socs.

3. Brooch and pottery

Date: lst c. AD

Location: some pottery in custody of Borough Librarian, LBB

Ref: Cottrill, F, "Note on the Trial Excavation at Brockley Hill, 1937," Trans LAMAS NS 7, 1937, 686-7.

4. Pit containing pottery. TQ 175939. Excav. 1972 by S A Castle and BHE & FWG

Clay pit containing kiln material and coarseware pottery including Hofheim type flagons, South Gaulish samian and a large quantity oak charcoal. Imitation as of Claudius I.

Date: c. 50-60 AD

Present location: Mus. Lond.

Ref: Castle, SA, "Trial Excavation in field 410, Brockley Hill; Pt. I," Lond. Archaeologist vol 2 No 2, 1973, 36-39

Page 9

Hilltop Café Sire, NW corner of field 413. TQ 175 939. Excav. 1972 by S A Castle & BHE & FWG

5. Kiln (no.11), possibly of potter Secundus, with part of furnace, 6ft. diam, of burnt clay reinforced with coarseware sherds, including mortarium of SECVNDVM & ring necked flagons, which were main product.

Date: 65-100 AD

Present location: Mus. Lond.

Ref: Castle, S A, "Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, 1972," Trans LAMAS 25, 1974, 251-263

(i) Pottery

Ring necked flagon, 2-handled flagons, bowls, jars, mortaria SECVNDVS, samian, brick and tile wasters.

Date: 1st/2nd c. AD

Location: some pottery in custody of Borough Librarian, LBB

Ref: Cottrill, F, "Note on the Trial Excavation at Brockley 1937," trans LAMAS NS 7, 1937, 686-7

(ii) Clay Pits

Excav. (a) 1947 by K M Richardson

(b) 1952 by Philip Suggett

(c) 1972 by S A Castle

Pottery found included mortaria stamped MELVS, SECVNDVS, RIPANVS, MARIMVS, MATVGENVS, SATVRNINVS, ANDIL, MERTVMAR. Ring necked flagons, jars, 2-handled bowls, amphorae, reed rimmed bowls, samian. Coins included antoninianus of Claudius II, unworn sestertius of Vespasian, sestertius of Hadrian, two 3rd c. antoniniani, sestertius of Septimius Severus.

Date: 60 AD/end of 2nd c.

Present location: pottery from (a) and (b) above in custody of Borough Librarian, LBB; from (c) Mus. Lond.

Refs: Richardson; K M, "Report of the Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, Aug/Sept 1947," Trans LAMAS NS 10 pt 1 1948, 1-23

Sugett, P G, "Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, March 1952- May 1953," Trans LAMAS NS 11 pt. 3, 1954, 259~276

Castle, S A, "Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, March-May 1972, Trans LAMAS 25, 1974, 251-263

7. Pit under road opposite Hilltop Cafe Found 1953 by Mr Robinson

Contained samian ware

Undated

Present location: in custody of Borough Librarian, LBB

Ref: Castle, S A, "Brockley Hill, the Site of Sullonicae?" Lond. Archaeologist vol 1 No 14, 1972, 324-327

8. Kiln (no.5) Excav. 1952 by Philip Suggett

Width 8 ft. lying in pit with cobbling at edge of stokehole. Pit nearby contained small amphorae with ring bases, ring necked flagons, reed rimmed bowls, mortaria stamped MELVS; coin of Constantine in soil above kiln.

Date: 70/80 AD

Present location: some pottery in custody of Borough Librarian, LBB

Ref: Suggett, P G, "Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, March 1952-May 1953, Trans LAMAS NS 11 pt. 3, 1954, 259-276

Gold ring found unstratified 1953

Heavy gold ring with oval bevel, probably once contained a stone, misshapen and marked as though run over by heavy machine.

Undated

Present location: Local History Collection, LBB

Page 10

Part of Brockley Hill lying to W of A5 road in Borough of Harrow - (finds listed from N to S)

SW of Green Cottage.

Kiln (no. 7) undated, observed by Mr. Upton 1965

Ref: Castle, S A, "Roman Pottery from Brockley Hill, Middx, 1966 and 1972-4," Trans LAMAS 27, 1976, p 225

E Side of Field 154

Kiln (no. 2) dated 90-150 AD, excav. 1951

Ref: Suggett, P G, "Report on the Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, Aug/Sept 1951," Trans LAMAS NS 11 pt. 2, 1953, 173-188

Kiln (no. 1) dated 100-160 AD, excav. 1950

Ref: Applebaum S H, "Sul1oniacae, 1950, Excavations at Brockley Hill," Trans LAMAS NS 10 pt 3, 1951, 201-228

Two kilns (nos. 3 & 4) , no. 3 built on remains of no. 4, dated 100-160 AD & 70-100 AD, excav. 1951

Ref: Suggett, P G, "Report on Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, Aug/ Sept 1951," Trans LAMAS NS 11 pt 2, 1953, 173-188

Tennis Court Area

Kiln (no. 10), 1st/2nd c. AD, observed by Mr. Harris 1971

Ref: Castle SA, "Roman Pottery from Brockley Hill, Middx, 1966 & 1972-~," Trans LAMAS 27, 1976, 226/7

Hut, etc, dated 1st c. AD, excav. 1953/4

Ref: Suggett P G "Report on Excavations at Brockley Hil1, Middx, Aug 1953/4," Trans LAMAS NS 19 pt 1, 1956, 65-75

S of Brockley Hill House. TQ 174 940

Kiln (no. 9) dated 70-110 AD, excav. 1971

Ref: Castle, S A, "A Kiln of the Potter Doinus," Arch. J. 129, 1972, 69-88

Field 157, S of Wood Lane. TQ 174 942

Kiln (no. 8) dated 70-120 AD, excav. 1968

Ref: Castle S A & Warbis J H, "Excavations on Field No. 157, Brockley Hill, (Sul1oniacae'?) Middx, Feb-Aug 1968," Trans LAMAS 24, 1973, 85-110

Finds from the above excavations are now either in Mus. Lond. or in custody of Borough Librarian, LBB.


II THE ENVIRON OF BROCKLEY HILL

Pipers Green Lane. TQ 1798 9328. Found 1954 by Mr. Probert; excav. 1955 by Philip Suggett.


9. Cremation urns and pottery Mus. Lond. ref: F44

Found when service trench dug to Aldenham Garage, in field NE of junction of Pipers Green Lane and Brockley Hill; further archaeological trenches in 1955 revealed nothing more. Finds included one whole Urn (now missing), frags of another urn, small ring necked flagon, frags of storage jar and samian, part of a bronze key.

Date: lst c. AD

Page 11

Present location: HADAS

Ref: Suggett, P G, "Report on Excavations at Brockley Hill, Middx, Aug. 1953/4," Trans LAMAS NS 19 pt 1, 1956, 65-75, (p.68)

10 (i) Pottery. TQ 1797/1798 9326/9343. Found 1977 by HADAS

A scatter of pottery (291 pieces) found on field walks; including sherds in typical Brockley Hill fabric, frags. flagons, mortaria, tazze, reed rimmed bowls, etc. Also 86 pieces of building material including imbrices, tegulae and flue tile.

Present location: HADAS

Ref: HADAS Newsletter 75, 1977, 5-6

(ii) Pottery. Small quantities of tile and pottery found 1970 when a gas-main trench was dug near, and parallel to, the A5, at three points within 300 m. of Pipers Green Lane.

(iii) Pottery has also been found at the border of golf course at of Pipers Green Lane, TQ 18239315. Mus. Lond. ref: F43

(iv) And also on playing field near Canons Corner, TQ 18259292. Mus. Lond. ref: F42

Present location of (iii) and (iv) unknown

Edgwarebury

11. Pottery. TQ 1857 9433. Found 1976 and 1977 by HADAS

A scatter of pottery near foot of electricity pylon (approx. 70 identifiable pieces) and building material, including imbrex and tegulae: was found during field walking on Bury Farm estate, in OS field No.5831.

Date: late 1st-3rd c. AD

Present location: HADAS

Ref: HADAS Newsletter 72, 1977, 6

15 Blackwell Gardens, Edgware. TQ 193930. Found 1974 by house owner Mr Selby

12. Pottery. Circular piece, 3 in. diam. found in back garden. Typical Brockley Rill fabric, function unknown, possibly kiln equipment.

Dating impossible.

Mus. Lond. Ref: F761

Present location: Kept by owner

13. Tile Fragments. TQ 189 934 - reported 1958 by Godfrey Cole & 1960 by Mr. Phillips

Found in field near sharp kink in stream where earthen bank was possibly a dam. Mus. Lond. ref: F47

Undated

Present location unknown

14. Pottery_and charcoal. TQ 1792 9424 No details Mus. Lond. ref: F48

III EDGWARE

15. 4 Farm Road, NW7 (off Hale Lane). TQ 20599080. Found by house owner, Mrs. Hall.

Coin. Tetradrachm of Aurelian, mint of Alexandria, Condition probably too good to have been lost in antiquity.

Page 12

Present location: kept by owner

Ref: HADAS Newsletter 49, 1975, 2

IV BURNT OAK ---~,

33 Thirleby Road. TQ 20599080. Found by house owners Mr & Mrs Whiston, 1970. Excav. 1971 & .1972 by HADAS

16. Pits, pottery, coin. About 30 unstratified sherds found in front garden; later excavation revealed rubbish pits containing further pottery frags. including colour coated ware, dishes, mortaria, flagons , lids, storage jars and a barbarous radiate of c. 270 AD.

Date: 3rd/early 4th c. AD

Present location: HADAS

Ref: "Roman Pottery from Thirleby Rd, Burnt oak, Edgware," Trans LAMAS 29, 1978, 154-5.

V HENDON

Grove House, The Burroughs. NW4. TQ 227 894. Found 1889 by Dr. Hicks

17. Pottery, tile and brick. Six pieces of grey, red and orange-buff pottery, including a whole single-handled ring necked flagon, also roofing tile and "circular brick," were found with some frags of bone about a foot below the surface in a gravel pit.

Date: late 1st/early 2nd c. AD

Present location: Local History Collection, LBB

Refs: Proc. Soc. Antiquaries 2nd series, 13, 1889, 16

Hendon & District Times, 13.12.1889

Robertson, E, "Roman Material found at Grove House, Hendon, in 1889," Trans LAMAS 24, 1973, 146-150

Corner of Church Terrace/Greyhound Hill NW4. TQ 22898953. Excav. 1973/4 by HADAS.

18. Pottery. A small quantity of pottery and tile was found at western perimeter of site, including coarse redware, imitation samian, colour-coated and grey ware. Frags. which might have been from a multiple vase and a flagon neck in redware with a stylised face could be from religious vessels.

Date: late 3rd/early 4th c. AD

Present location: HADAS Ref: Sammes, E, "Moulded Face-flagon from Church Terrace, Hendon," Trans LAMAS 28, 1977, 272- 3

111 Sunny Gardens Road, NW4. TQ 2298 8998. found 1966 by Sq. Ldr. Rideal

19. Burial urn containing Ashes and calcined bone, poss. of a child. Urn of Highgate Woods type, light sandy fabric not-identified. Height 21.5 cm, diam. 22.25 cm.

Date: end 1st/beginning 2nd c. AD

Present location: on display at Church Farm House Museum, Hendon

Ref: Robertson, B, "Human Cremation Burial from Hendon," Trans LAMAS 22 pt. 2, 1969, 53-55

NOTE RE Item 17 above. - Tessellated pavement (16x12 cm) usually associated with the pottery is probably a collectors item, and almost certainly not from The Grove.

Page 13

Copthall Fields. TQ 232 914. Excav. 1968 by HADAS

20. (i) Pottery. Black, brown and grey~ware found at edges of road. Mainly native ware. Mus. Lond. ref: F659

Date: 1st c. AD to early 2nd c, Some pre-conquest

Present location: HADAS

(ii) Road surface. Resistivity survey indicated presence of road which subsequent excavation demonstrated in two places TQ 232 914 and TQ 2325 9120. Aligned partly NW/SE, partly NE/SW, not on line of route 167 suggested by Viatores. Mus. Lond. ref: F924

Date: by associated pottery, 1st c. AD, already declining in usage by beginning of 2nd c. AD.


Refs: Viatores, "Roman Roads in SE Midlands," 1964 ,

Robertson, B, "An Investigation of Roman Road No 167," Trans LAMAS 22 pt 2, 1970, 10-29

21. (iii) Lamp. TQ 2329 9030. Found c. 1963 by N Ashdown, 20 Sunny Hill, NW4

Coarse pottery lamp, 3" diam. with engraved design, found on E side of path to allotments from Great North Way. (Possibly brought to England in modern times).

Date: late 3rd/4th c. AD Present location: kept by finder

Ref: HADAS Newsletter 25, 1973, 2; and 27, 1973, 2.

(iv) Coin, prob. Antonine, found in Archfields Allotments by L Lewis.

Present location: Local History Collection, LBB

51 Kings Close, NW4. TQ 239 893 Reported by Rolf Hansen

22. Coin. Found in garden and said to have been identified as a coin of Probus.

Present location: kept by finder, the owner of this house

Church Walk, NW4. Found 1960s by Mr. Peacock (owner of nearby timber yard)

23 Coin. Found "lying on top of ground" - possibly dropped by collector. Clipped sestertius of Hadrian.

Present location: kept by finder

The Hyde, NW9. found in 19th c.

24. Coin. gold. Mus. Lond. ref: F56

Present location: unknown

Refs: Brett-James, N G, "The story of Hendon," 1931

Evans, E T, "History & Topography of Parish of Hendon," 1890

26. Coin of Vespasian mentioned in local paper of Oct. 30, 1925, as having been found in Hendon. No further details.

Present location unknown.

VI Hampstead Garden Suburb

N. side of Falloden Way, NWll. TQ 254 891. Found 1974 by Garry Wadkin, 5 Brookland Hill, NWll

27. Pottery. Base of samian cup, with stamp, found during road works.

Present location: kept by finder

Page 14

VII MILL HILL. Said to have been found 1769

29. Lamp and coins, No. details.

Ref: Sharpe, Montagu, "Midd1esex in British, Roman and Saxon Times," 1932, 113

Moat Mount Park/Moat End Farm. TQ 2168 9427. Found 1953

30. Coin. Inscription il1egible. Mus. Lond. ref: F67

Date: Probably 3rd c. AD

Present Location: Local History Collection, LBB

VIII Arkley

Ark1ey Hotel 32. Coin of Antoninus Pius said to have been found in grounds.

Present location: unknown

Ref: Viatores, "Roman Roads of SE Midlands,," 1964, 117

IX NORTH FINCHLEY

16 Wolsetnbury, Woodside Park, N12. TQ 2499 9219. Found by A D King, 54 Lul1ington Garth, N12

33. Coin of Hadrian, found in garden

Present location: kept by finder

X BARNET

Mansfield Avenue. TQ 279 954. Found 1961. Mus. Lond. ref: F110

34. Coin struck in Constantinople 337 AD

Present location: unknown

Ref: Thames Basin Arch. Obs. Group Newsletter No 7 Dec. 1961

NOTE 1. Two separate finds of Gallo-Belgic coins in the area (which may of course have been depQsited outside the Roman period) should be recorded, as follows:

28. Coin found in Golders Green, 1926.

Ref: Inst. Archaeology Occasional Papers No. 11 1958, 150 (Allen)

35. Coin found near Barnet. Gaulish gold stater, inscribed (Evans type B8).

Refs: Allen, "Belgic Dynasties of Britain & Their. Coins," Archaeologia XC 1944

Evans, J, "Ancient British Coins."

NOTE 2. Some coins shown on the HADAS finds map (circulated with the last Newsletter) are not detailed above. Recent research suggests their authenticity is now in some doubt and that the same find has been reported more than once. The numbers concerned are 25 and 31.


Comments