Those of you who were unable to take part in the Social Evening
on 10th March missed a very friendly and enjoyable gathering. It was a
disappointment not to see more of the younger members of the Society.
Owing to the generosity of those who donated prizes for the various
competitions, many present were able to leave bearing “gifts”. Very
hard work on the part of the organisers earned praise for the catering.
Together with this letter comes notice of the Annual
General Meeting for 16th May. Please do come and let your views be
known to the Committee. Ideas for outings, lectures and other
activities will be warmly welcomed; there are many items on the agenda
that we hope will provoke lively discussion.
Owing to the lecturer being detained abroad, the Programme Committee
had to arrange for a substitute lecturer at short notice for Tuesday
18th April 1972. They have managed to obtain the services of the
National Trust lecturer, Mrs. MacGregor to give an illustrated talk on
“The History of our Coastlands, with special reference to Enterprise
Neptune”. Please do come.
The last meeting, on Tuesday 28th March, was fairly well
attended, when Mr. Graham Dawson gave a very detailed account of the
excavations in Lambeth and Southwark of the Delftware kilns. The talk
was accompanied by numerous coloured slides. Mrs. Grafton Green chaired
the meeting and Martin Long gave a vote of thanks.
At last we have final arrangements for the lecture on the
Tomb of Tutankhamun which Mr. T. G. H. Jones is going to give us and
the Historical Association. This will be at Westfield College,
Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 at 8 p.m. on Wednesday 24th May 1972. Kidderpore
Avenue is just off Platts Lane, the road that leads from Finchley Road
towards Hampstead; just the other side of Finchley Road from the exit
of Hendon Way down which the 113 bus comes from Hendon Central. Buses
also come along Finchley Road from Golders Green Station (2 and 13).
With this letter, you will receive details of the outing to Coventry
Cathedral on 20th May. You make like advance news of the all-day outing
to East Anglia on 10th June, when a visit will be made to Grimes Graves
(for those wishing to be agile!) as well as many other places of
interest in Brandon and Thetford. On 15th July, there is a visit to the
Dolphin Sailing Barge Museum at Sittingbourne; and on September 9th, a
further outing with a specially archaeological slant is being arranged.
Saturday 19th August at 2.15 p.m. John Cresswell will conduct
“Strand Looping” for the Society and the London History Society. Meet
at 2.15 p.m. at London Bridge Underground Station. Bring Wellingtons
and old clothes as this involves walking along the Thames mud at low
Festival of London
In connection with the Festival of London, Mr. Jeffrey Evans is conducting three walks as follows :-
Monday 28th May (Spring Bank Holiday) – a River walk – meeting at 2.30 p.m. at Henleys Corner.
Sunday 4th June – Hendon History walk – meeting at 3 p.m. at Hendon Central.
Sunday 11th June – Mill Hill History walk, meeting at Mill Hill East station 3 p.m. and walking towards Totteridge.
Mr. J. Enderby is also conducting a walk for the Festival on
July 2nd on “Historic Buildings in the Suburb” – meeting at 2.30 p.m.
at the Institute, Central Square, NW11 and returning to the Tea House
at 3.45 for a short illustrated lecture on the history of the suburb.
Tea, at 4.15, kindly provided
By the Institute Society.
Brockley Hill. As members will know from the Roman Hendon
exhibitiopn of last September, excavation has been going on again
sporadically at Brockley Hill since 1968. (The first series of digs,
under the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society, were from
1947-1955.) Members of the Watford and South Herts group have, by
permission of the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, investigated an
area within the hospital grounds (which lie along the west side of the
A5 at the top of Brockley Hill) where alteration or development was
going to take place.
Last month the same group obtained permission to dig on the
east side of the A5 (not on hospital land). They have put down several
trenches just by the place where stands the Hendon Borough Council blue
plaque commemorating the site of the Roman station of Suulonaicae,
close to the area of the 1947 dig. So far they report finding much
disturbance in the area, with 18th century and 1st century Roman
The dig is a small one, under the direction of Stephen
Castle, of the Coins and Medal department of the British Museum. Mr.
Castle, who will be digging at weekends until May 14, has sufficient
volunteers; but he would be happy to show the site to any members of
the Society any weekend.
Earlier this year, a field belonging to Edgwarebury Farm,
also at the top of Brockley Hill on the east of the A5, came under the
plough for the first time in many years. Substantial evidence of Roman
pottery was seen in the plough soil, and indications of three possible
kiln areas. The London and Middlesex Archaeological Society has been
asked to apply to the Department of the Environment to mount a
full-scale dig in this area in the autumn, when the barley now growing
in the field will have been harvested. If this plan goes ahead, it
would probably mean a full-time dig of several weeks. We will keep
members posted about the plans as volunteers from our Society may be
HADAS dig at 31-41 The Burroughs
A row of six small houses, probably built near the beginning of the
last century, is at present being demolished on this site. Barnet
Borough Council have kindly given permission for the Society to
excavate there at weekends as soon as demolition is complete.
The earliest map of the area (c, 1597 from the archives of
All Souls College, Oxford) does not show buildings on the site, but
there are possibly buildings there on the Crow map of 1754. In any
case, the site is so close to the heart of the old village of Hendon
that we felt that it should be investigated fully while that is still
It is hoped that digging may start towards the end of this
month. Volunteers are urgently needed. All members who can spare time
either in the weekend of April 29-30 or during any weekend in May are
asked to let Mrs. Grafton Green know as soon as possible.
Members may like to know that Penguin have recently published “The
Penguin Dictionary of Archaeology” for 50p, edited by Warwick Bray and
David Trump. In view of the increased interest in Egypt, Penguin
re-issued “The Pyramids of Egypt” by I. E. S. Edwards and “Archaic
Egypt” by Walter B. Emery, both at 50p.